Short bio: Melissa Jo Hill lives in an intentional community in Upstate New York with her two kids, dog and cat. She works in digital marketing at Kaye Publicity. She reads and experiments in all forms of writing, storytelling, and media-making. In her free time, she talks to plants and agonizes over her failed fiction.
The longer, more tedious, and first person bio
In past lives, I’ve worked the freelance beat creating websites, managing social, and writing copy. I’ve penned obituaries, read Tarot cards, cleaned mansions, tended bar, and once, in my wild and reckless youth, I was a professional mime.
In my free time, I chase my kids, sit on a few boards, tend my garden, brew kombucha and mix switchels. I’m a green smoothie aficionado that weaves tapestries and crochets amigurumi. In 2016 I took up piano and cello. This year I’m tackling Tae Kwon Do and writing detective stories.
My body of work spans freelance website development and design, copywriting and blogging, and social media management. I specialize in WordPress website management, building elegant, integrated, and scaleable solutions to complex problems.
On my website, you’ll find:
- Technical tutorials for creating with WordPress
- Strategies for integrating social media on your website (and into your life)
- My rally cries for a more authentic, less curated representation of the selfie (and why it’s so important)
- Tools and resources for community managers and organizers
- Lots of woo. I write about lots of woo (Tarot cards, herbs, crystals, etc). Sorry/not sorry
- I also read widely and some of those books will be reviewed here (the others you’ll find on Goodreads)
On social, my preferred platform is Instagram. I share slices of life there which are cross-posted across various networks (including Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr). Beyond Instagram, I only engage real-time at Twitter, though maintain the other networks as outposts should you care to connect. I encourage you to say hello or ask a question if I can be helpful.
Be good to each other,